Monday, March 4, 2019

Otter Watercolor - WIP

I'm now doing a cute little watercolor painting of this Otter.
Isn't he the cutest!
This is actually a tutorial that I'm following "loosely" from Paul Hopkinson.
I started by laying in the wash for the water.
I don't have any frisket or masking fluid of any kind so I had to go around the areas instead of just be able to mask them off and paint right over the top.
That made it a little more challenging.
I also don't have a large mop brush or a Hake brush either.
Once I got the water laid down and dried, then I went for the eye.
Paul uses Lamp Black but I prefer to use my own mixture for Black.
So I used Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, and Ultramarine Blue.
He also uses Acrylic White which I don't have.

For the Shadow areas on the fur, Paul's direction were to paint the hair in first then do a lamp black wash over them after they are completely dry.
I chose to paint the darker shadows first as a wash then add details over the wash.
I did try his technique on one of the leaf shadows.  Can you tell which one?

I still have a ways to go with this one but really liking the results I'm getting so far.


Hope you like it so far.
Thanks for stopping by!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments :)